Clothing sizes in retail: is it time for change?

19 August 2015

Hey guys,

So very recently I went on a huge shopping spree to Meadowhall. Not going to lie, I was super excited. I've not actually shopped like that since probably before University so it was peaking two years since my last major blowout. Obviously I've purchased clothes and such since then - but this blowout was a whole new level of 'shop til you drop'! However, something I've been noticing for a while is the affects of clothing sizes in retail on a persons physical and mental state of mind. Now, I can't speak for men as none that I asked wanted to comment on this but I know that for women this is a massive issue. 

I thought this meme was very fitting

One of my experiences recently: I got some gorgeous cut out knee jeans from H&M they fit me perfectly. I went the next day to get the EXACT SAME SIZE because I was so impressed with their jeans - I couldn't get it past my knees... Like what the hell? It left me distraught, surely I couldn't have gained that much weight overnight. Just this weekend in Topshop - their sizing and hangers told me I'm a size 16 when I full well know I am a size 12. That brought me close to tears in the changing room and I pretty much ended up jumping on the train home after that, I just wasn't in the mood for shopping anymore. 

However, I've found that many women have also found this issue with H&M, Topshop, Primark, New Look, Miss Selfridges and other retail giants. Now, I don't have a massive issue with my body - some days I'm like meh I wish I could change this, some days I'm like daaamn girl you look good! I'm honestly 50.50. I'm a curvy size 12 at just 5'3. I have big boobies, wide hips and a big bum - not the easiest to shop for at times. My wardrobe ranges from a size 10 to a size 16 and I'm pretty sure I have a size 18 top in there somewhere. So that is a massive gap and it needs fixing.

 Can someone please tell me how this is fair to women and to anyone else who has ever been made to feel like crap because of a stinking number? How shops control the sizes is something that definitely needs sorting. I think personally for me, there needs to be a STANDARD sizing system across the clothing companies. I think it's bloody wrong how a number can make people feel like they're crap and not good enough for their own body. 

I asked around on Twitter for some responses/comments on what other women think about the clothing size system:

First up is my good friend Jessie Bartholomew who is also the University of Lincoln Women's Officer. Her title says it all really, I always see Jessie on Twitter standing up for what it is right and what she believes in, this is something I love about her, she doesn't hold back! I just had to ask if she would make comment because I knew she would make some extremely valid points, thankfully Jessie agreed to write her opinions on this. All these views expressed are entirely her own. She has this to say:
 

You see what I mean? Jessie literally hits the nails on the head and pin points everything that is wrong   with society and the number sizing system. I know exactly what she means, I got a dress in a size 10 the other month, chuffed because I thought I had lost weight, in the next shop I tried my luck with a 10 and it was a big no no. It's just nasty.


My partner in crime from uni and BF Jade Glennon is too like Jessie - stands up for what she believes in, doesn't hold back. A firm believer in equality (rightly so) Jade is also very fierce, you've been warned: 



PS - Jade literally looks amazing 24/7 - seriously, even when she's hungover and dosed up on Red Bull for the Wednesday lectures and seminars, she still looks fabulous.
 Jade, who has been recommended to loose weight by her Doctor, a healthy size for her frame and height, still feels crappy when such experiences happen to her. Jade makes so many valid points,  I was literally imagining the 'sassy emoji' all the way through this.

I like the idea of being measured through inches - because the inches do not change across the shops - in store and online, it is literally that bloody number deciding our sizes for us. I thought even numbers were supposed to be better than odd?! 


Up next, the face behind the lovely and ever growing, ever popular blog: www.dorkface.co.uk Jemma, who is loved by so many in the blogging community and down to earth (something that I adore about her) had this to say: 




As I was reading Jemma's comments I was like YES!! I've always hated how the sizes are placed on the racks and it does make you feel second class because you're not this ideal shape/figure that society wants. This is pretty similar for Jessie too as she stated about the 'plus size' range issue, why should they be labelled as plus size? It's degrading. We definitely need to be spreading the positivity and learn how to love ourselves, I think it's been lost in the midst of social media and the ever changing 21st Century.

Another blogger who gave comment is Charlotte who blogs over on coloursandcarousels.com. The same as Jemma - Charlotte is so down to earth!
 Charlotte has also built up a legion of fans over the years, I used to read her blog religiously but didn't think to follow her on anything until I got addicted to Twitter, then I pretty much fan girled when she first spoke to me (sad I know) Charlotte says this:
 I'm in a similar situation to Charlotte, I'm small and curvy so shopping can be a royal pain in the bum! Everything is either too long, too short, too tight - so on and so forth. 

 Parts of these comments have said about the knock on effect for self esteem and the future generations. We're already living in a world where people are so concerned with what others think and how we must look all the time. It may or may not have always been this way, but because of social media - this has intensified. Everyone is constantly under scrutiny over their appearance:
 ''Their bum is too fat, their boobs are weirdly shaped, they should not have worn that outfit because of X, Y and Z''.
Whilst this is all happening the clothing companies are making a killing out of our issues, so many girls (and guys) have developed disorders because they don't feel like they're the right size or the 'perfect' size and this really needs to change.

So how do we go about changing this system to make it better and friendlier for everyone? It's tricky, there's very little yet so much we can do. Who knows, maybe one retail giant will read this and see sense - 0.0000000000000000000001% (recurring) chance of that happening. Maybe it will change someday, the system definitely needs a look over and a re-polish, it's just not working out that well anymore. Retail giants need to realise that plus sizing is wrong, stocking specifically only 'smaller' sizers is wrong, that adjusting sizes to suit their profit is wrong, agh it's all wrong. 

I'm just ranting now but it honestly gets me so frustrated how we are judged and labelled for a number that is so upsetting and distressing for so many women. No men wanted to comment on this but I do know that they too feel the pressures and strains of their system - XXS XS S M L XL XXL XXXL (so on and so forth) because again thats creating the clear divide between what is 'acceptable' with the ideal body shape and weight. 

Sort it out society, thanks!


So this is the end of my rant and the end of this post. I hope I've got the message across for what I'm trying to say. A huge thank you to those who shared their comments with me, I really appreciate it! Thank you for reading until the very end, leave a comment below on what you think and I'll get back to you asap - I know that there will no doubt be trolls for this post, but you'll just have your comment removed so please don't even waste your time if you're a troll :).  

Thanks for reading once more, make sure you check out my social networking pages and my bloglovin page - all of those can be found under my picture on the right hand side! The next post will be related to Victoria's Secret (I won't reveal all) I'll post again soon,  





Post a Comment

Latest Instagrams

© Katie Middleton. Design by Fearne.